Wednesday 7 October 2009

Tutors & Teachers

I come across many inspiring drummers who are self-taught. However, I come across many more who are great because they've learnt from others.

It's no big shame to admit that someone else helped us get to where we are, because whatever we do in life, someone else, whether we like it or not, has helped us there: by advice, support, assistance, direct or indirect input.

So when it comes to drumming we're no different. We may be self-taught but that cannot be in isolation. At some stage we have heard someone play, been inspired by seeing a band live, listened to music, watched television, known a friend, known the friend of a friend ... etc.

For a number of years I worked away on my own, trying to learn new rhythms, refining my style of playing, tuning my drums, even setting up my kit. I looked at photos and listened to music, even occasionally watched TV and all I did was get more confused ... because everyone seemed to do things differently.

Then I had the opportunity to get a few drum and percussion lessons ... and that revolutionised my playing. A few lessons did more for my development and knowledge than months, even years of trying to do it alone. Sure, we all want to develop our own style (hopefully!) but we can learn so much from others, and if we don't like it we don't have to take it any further ... but if we don't have anything in the first place, we can't make that decision.

I haven't always had easy access to a personal drum or percussion tutor/teacher, but the advent of DVDs has been a great help and source of inspiration. I'm not talking so much about the DVDs which are simply an excuse for a well known drummer to blind us with their skill and showcase their thing but have little educational value, I'm talking about DVDs which are made by drummers and educators who want their audience to actually learn something from what they offer. About a year-and-a-half ago I came across a drummer called Jared Falk who was starting to put together teaching DVDs and workbooks which really broke everything down into easy-to-digest pieces and used multiple angle, close-up photography with added slow motion footage so that I could really see what was happening. I would recommend that you check out their now wide (and ever-increasing) range of DVDs, play-along CDs/DVDs and workbooks which are some of the most reasonably priced products for what you get, on the market. See what you think and take a look here.

Until next time ...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home